Watermelon is a star player in my favorite summer salad. This recipe for Watermelon and Feta Salad is inspired by one that I found in Dr. Oz's book You On A Diet. It is light and refreshing and is perfect for a first dinner course or a summer lunch. Although I have included the directions for a balsamic vinaigrette, you could also use a bottled dressing such as Newman's Own.
So whether it is straight from the rind or as part of your favorite recipe, I hope you enjoy some watermelon today. Happy Belated National Watermelon Day!
Watermelon and Feta Salad Recipe
1 Tablespoon Extra-Virgin olive oil
1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 small shallot, finely minced
salt and freshly ground black pepper
(or use 2 Tablespoons of bottled Balsamic Vinaigrette)
3 cups packed greens such as arugula, mixed field greens or baby spinach
1 cup cubed seedless watermelon
1/3 cup crumbled low-fat feta cheese
- Wash greens and dry thoroughly.
- Combine olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and shallot in a jar with a tight fitting lid. Add salt and pepper. Place lid on container and shake until fully combined.
- Arrange greens on two serving plates.
- Place watermelon and feta on top of greens.
- Drizzle with balsamic vinaigrette.