|Shamrock Sugar Cookies with Green Sprinkles|
|My favorite Leprechaun!|
Aunt Ethel's Sugar Cookies Recipe
adapted from Betty Crocker’s Cooky Book (copyright 1977)
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
- Cream the butter, shortening, sugar, eggs, and vanilla thoroughly.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together.
- Blend butter mixture and flour mixture together.
- Divide dough into 2 discs. Cover each with plastic wrap and chill for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and allow to sit on the counter for 15-30 minutes, depending on the temperature of your kitchen.
- On a board that has been lightly floured with a mixture of flour and confectioner’s sugar, roll dough until it is 1/4 inch thick. Cut with your favorite cookie cutter.
- Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Top with colored sanding sugar, if desired.
- Bake 6 to 8 minutes, or until cookies are a delicate light golden color.
- Cool on a wire rack. If desired, decorate with Easy Cream Icing.