It's my birthday and I had a homemade cake that I didn't have to bake! My daughter, who is just a few weeks shy of becoming a teenager, prepared me a delicious Oreo Cookie Cake from start to finish. A few weeks ago she browsed through my desserts binder and chose a recipe that I had ripped out of a magazine years ago. She read through the directions, made the grocery list, and fixed the Oreo Cookie Cake with only a few questions along the way.
Although I had never gotten around to preparing this cake that resembles a giant oreo, I couldn't wait to try it. My daughter started by preparing a devil's food chocolate cake mix from a box that she baked in two nine inch round pans. While those were cooling she made a chocolate glaze. Next she whipped up an oreo cookie filling. Finally she assembled everything while her three little brothers hovered around the kitchen and I napped on the couch.
My oreo cookie birthday cake was the perfect treat! I really enjoyed the oreo flavor which contrasted nicely with the cream cheese in the filling. Also, as much as I love to bake, I greatly appreciated a day off from the kitchen.
Oreo Cookie Cake
1 package devil's food chocolate cake mix
4 squares Baker's Semi-Sweet Baking Chocolate
1/4 cup butter
1 package (8 ounce) Cream Cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups thawed Cool Whip
12 Oreo Cookies, coarsely crushed
- Prepare cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare and bake cake mix as directed on package in 2 (9 inch) round cake pans. Cool completley.
- Prepare glaze: Melt chocolate in small microwaveable bowl in high 1 to 2 minutes or until chocolate is melted, stirring after 30 seconds. Blend in butter. Set aside to slightly thicken.
- Prepare filling: Beat cream cheese and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Gently stir in cool-whip and crushed oreo cookies.
- Assemble cake: Place 1 of the cake layers on serving plate. Spread top of cake layer evenly with cream cheese mixture. Place remaining cake layer on top. Spoon glaze to cover top of cake only.
- Serve with a large glass of ice cold milk. No dunking needed.