Not only is this recipe for Scalloped Squash simple to prepare and delicious along side any piece of grilled meat, it is also a great way to use up the inevitable plethora of yellow squash that all Maryland Eastern Shore gardens produce in July and August. While I was staying at my parent's house, my father harvested at least a half a dozen yellow squash every morning. We had grilled squash, steamed squash, sauteed squash, and, my personal favorite, Scalloped Squash. So if your garden or local road side farm stand is exploding with yellow squash, consider preparing a batch of Scalloped Squash.
Scalloped Squash Recipe
8 medium yellow squash
1 large onion
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 Tablespoons butter
1 cup bread crumbs
- Thinly slice the squash. Steam the squash until just tender. Drain well.
- Finely dice the onion.
- Layer the squash and onion in a shallow buttered casserole with the shredded cheese.
- Combine and beat the milk, egg, salt, and pepper. Pour over the squash mixture.
- Dot the top of the casserole with butter and then sprinkle with bread crumbs.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until casserole bubbles around the edges and the topping is golden brown.
Linked to: Sunday Scoop,