Don't you just love it when you find a great recipe on the back of a food package? This delicious recipe for "Buttermilk Pancakes" comes from the back of a lowly buttermilk container that I bought years ago. I tried it once, got a thumbs up from the family, copied it onto one of my recipe cards, and filed it in my recipe box. I often choose this recipe for a family breakfast because the buttermilk and oats make more nutritious than some of the regular pancake mixes or recipes. Also, I usually mix the batter the night before and then store it in the fridge overnight to promote a more peaceful morning. Peaceful and pancakes go together very well in my home.
Oatmeal Buttermilk Pancakes
1 1/4 cups old fashioned or quick cook oatmeal
2 cups buttermilk
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup flour
3 Tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Stir together oatmeal and buttermilk until well-coated.
- Stir eggs and oil into oatmeal and buttermilk mixture.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt.
- Preheat lightly greased griddle.
- Drop batter by 1/4 cup onto hot griddle.
- Cook until bubbles appear around the edges. Flip.